Saturday, November 8, 2008

Well frikkin well... Have had a maddie two days, but skipping a bit so will start from beginning eh ;) will update in due course - peace out :P

Day !

Mumbai - fkin stinks!! Felt pretty good when I landed, just jumped straight to it, booked maself a taxi into the city and just did one. Taxis are pretty ace, proper 70's (this one is lined in faux tiger fur ;)) and it's like riding in a dodgem car but for some reason we manage not to scathe anything! Horns beep everywhere, constantly - they use them to let anyone who's in their way know that they are there and want to over take - how there aint an accident every 2 mins I don't know. The taxis turn their engines off at traffic lights/jams too - I'd liek to think it's to save on pollution but think it's more likely to conserve petrol usage innit. The aroma around me is pungent to say the least (smells like I may just get the shits from that!) and I'm swotting flying things from ma page, ace!

One thing ya notice in Mumbai is that there are people EVERYWHERE! And people think they're homeless back home - pish! Whole families literally sleep on the curb, sometimes with a bed and their washing beside them, but mostly on a sari on the floor, bit of cardboard or newspaper - babies, kids, grandparents, man, woman and dog - many dogs... Think the next tier up, other than the make shift tents in the slums, are one room houses dotted along main road where it looks like wholee familes stay - there is also this typr of accommodation by the train tracks (actually have some photos of this when I can figure out how to upload/use my camera properly :P).

Not many white people or tourists at all really - took an hour and a half to get to the centre of the city and I saw one, maybe two - more once ya get to the tourist disctrict (Colaba), but still hardly any.

The entrance to the hotel recommended in the Lonely Planet is proper shoddy, but I go up anyway, past workmen cementing the stairs and oples/hazards everywhere. Three flights up and the darned thing is full, so am shown to the hotel downstairs which is proper rank, but I just take it as I needed to settle/find my feet. My room for the night was a shoebox with cardboard walls, literally right next to reception, like a foot away - the walls don't go up to the ceiling either - beyond rank, but fook it eh.

As soon as I opened my bag I realised how shitly I packed!! Too much shit with me, really wanna dump it but spose I'll use it all in Aus. Spose I didn't need 2 months supply of wet wipes though and about 2kg of toilettries ;P.

Didn't bother showering as I know I'd just sweat immediately anyway - left pretty sharpish or a mooch around to get my barings and find this Hotel Sophie had recommended - found it quick and reserved a room for my next night. Much better, cheers for that Soph ;)

Had some food and a mooch and collared some poor Aussie minding his own business by the Gateway to India, made him keep me company and we went for a drink - slowly easing my way into this lone traveller vibe. (was sposed to be meeting ma mate Becky, but she's well held up in Nepal...)

***

Gotta catch a train, will update the rest when I can...

4 comments:

Mr Nightwalker said...

TOP TIP FROM UNCLE TRAVELLING WALKER #1

Shower gel, cheap as hell, will wash you, your hair, your clothes on the floor in the shower while you wash (feet are as good as a hotpoint) its the only way and cuts down weight and excess baggage....

Stemfour said...

Good tip from Alex there. Nice to hear youre already up to your eyes in scummage, where you belong. Seen my Great Grandad yet?
xxx

jojo said...

Is he the one with burns all over his face and no eye in his right socket? Saw him on the train yesterday :S

katty said...

hey jojo

just wanted to say a little hello.
and to let you know that its cold grey in manchester- i'd love to be in india!

mwa
xxt